Many persistent organic pollutants (POPs) are halogenated organic compounds produced industrially for a wide variety of commercial applications, including polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), polychlorinated dibenzofurans (PCDFs), polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and polychlorinated dibenzodioxins (PCDDs). Many POPs are proved beneficial in pest and disease control for crop production and industry. However, these POPs have had unforeseen effects on human health and the environment. POPs can volatilize from soils, vegetation, and bodies of water into the atmosphere, resisting breakdown reactions in the air, to travel long distances before being re-deposited, so POPs are resistant to environmental degradation and persist in the environment for long periods of time. POPs exposure may cause chronic illnesses, behavioral problems, developmental defects, and even death. And many POPs can cause endocrine disruption within the central nervous system, the immune system or the reproductive system.
Persistent Organic Pollutants Analysis at Creative Proteomics
At Creative Proteomics, we have long-standing experience in the persistent organic pollutants analysis. And our professional technicians can analyze various classes of POPs and their metabolites, including but not limited:
|Persistent organic pollutants can be analyzed at Creative Proteomics|
|2||Chlordane||9||Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)|
|3||Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT )||10||Polychlorinated dibenzodioxins (PCDDs)|
|6||Heptachlor||13||Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs)|
|7||Hexachlorobenzene (HCB )||14||Perflorinated compounds (PFCs )|
There are some challenges to analyze POPs in complex matrices, because of POPs’ broad concentration ranges and the presence of interfering substances with similar physicochemical properties. Based on advanced equipment, professional knowledge, and highly specialized personnel, Creative Proteomics can provide comprehensive analysis of persistent organic pollutants in complex matrices. Our methods are included, but are not limited to:
- Extraction methods: Cavity dispersed microwave-assisted extraction (MAE), focused MAE, pressurized fluid extraction (PFE), liquid-liquid extraction (LLE) and solid-phase extraction (SPE), etc.
- Analysis technologies: Gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC-MS), gas chromatography–high resolution mass spectrometry (GC-HRMS), liquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS), etc.
- Sensitivity to detect very low levels of POPs.
- Available for POPs analysis in complex matrices, including water, soil, gas, etc.
- Deliver consistent and high-quality data with cost-efficiency.
Creative Proteomics has professional experts to help you design the best strategies for the persistent organic pollutants analysis. Moreover, if you have any other needs, we would love to design studies to address clients’ specific requirements.
1. Vuković G, et al. Persistent organic pollutants (POPs) in edible fish species from different fishing zones of Croatian Adriatic. Mar Pollut Bull. 2018, 137:71-80.