ICP-MS in Food Test
Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) is an efficient tool in elemental analysis. Due to its advantages such as low detection limit, simultaneous analysis of multiple elements, fast analysis speed and less interference, ICP-MS has become a common and mature analytical testing method and is widely used in many fields of food nutrition analysis and safety monitoring. The method can analyze more than 70 kinds of metals and some non-metallic elements, and has the capability of semi-quantitative, quantitative and rapid determination of isotope ratio. However, it cannot be used for detection of C, H, O, N, F, Cl, and group zero elements. ICP-MS can not only analyze the total amount of elements in the sample, but also analyze the morphological composition of the elements, so as to obtain information on the toxicity and biological effectiveness of the elements. ICP-MS can be used in conjunction with separation techniques such as high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), gas chromatography (GC), ion chromatography (IC) and capillary electrophoresis (CE) to analyze elements, with higher sensitivity, wider detection range and greater flexibility.
Creative Proteomics can have an ICP-MS platform and can provide our customers with ICP-MS food analysis services. After communicating with you, we will customize an exclusive solution for you in accordance with local laws, regulations and guidelines. After confirming the plan with you, we will implement it in a fast turnaround period, and finally deliver a detailed report to you.
Schematic of ICP-MS (Kashani et al., 2010)
ICP-MS Analysis Workflow
- Sample preparation
- ICP-MS analysis
- Data processing analysis
ICP-MS Platform in Creative Proteomics
- Multi-element analysis: Micro and trace analysis of more than 70 elements (from Li to U). The detection range is from less than 1 ppt to more than 500 ppm, up to 9 orders of magnitude.
- High sensitivity: less sample volume and less reagent consumption.
- Fast speed: the usual analysis time is 1～5 min
- Flexible application: automatic setting and automatic optimization of measurement conditions.
- High compatibility: ICP-MS can be combined with LC-MS/MS, GC, IC, etc., and can also be used as a detector for ELISA detection methods.
- Other Supported ICP-MS instrument types: LA-ICP-MS, TQ-ICP-MS, HR-ICP-MS, ICP-TOF-MS.
- Fast semi-quantitative analysis: After quantitatively calibrating a small amount of elements, the instrument can determine the content of all elements according to the relative sensitivity of isotope, which is very suitable for element screening.
- The spectrum is simple: every element (except In) has a spectrum of an isotope that is not interfered by the spectrum of other elements. Therefore, there is less interference in multi-element determination. The organic phase in the sample has little interference, and the elements in the organic phase can be measured.
Creative Proteomics' analytical scientists have extensive experience and knowledge in the application of ICP-MS analysis to the food industry. We can provide fast turn-around, clear and concise written reports and customized services to help customers solve your analytical and technical problems. Contact us to discuss more.
1. Kashani A, Mostaghimi J. Aerosol Characterization of Concentric Pneumatic Nebulizer Used in Inductively Coupled Plasma—Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS). Atomization and Sprays, 2010, 20(5).
* Not intended for personal food safety testing.